Sunday, November 20, 2011

BLOG 2: World's Most Expensive Coffee

A few years ago when I went home to the Philippines, I was hanging out at a local coffee shop when my cousin pointed out something in the menu. He explained to me what the Kape Alamid was. At first I didn’t believe him, until I did some research myself.

The coffee originally came from Indonesia, and was called the Kopi Luwak, or Civet Coffee (kape alamid in the Philippines). The very root of how these coffee beans are collected starts with the Asian Palm Civet, which is kind of species found deep in the jungles of Southeast Asia. Civets feed on foods such as fruit and seeds, and leave droppings around as a way to mark their territory. Farmers then search around for these droppings, wash them, leave them out on the sun to dry, and then roast them. This then turns into coffee beans, and becomes what is considered the most expensive coffee in the world.


Asian Palm Civet droppings


You must be wondering who would ever even want to consume literally anything that came from anyone or anything’s feces. Well, it has been explained that the digestive process that goes within the Civet adds to its unique flavor. If you’re curious enough to try it, I sure hope you have an extra $50 lying around to spend on a cup of coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment